What to do when she says, “I want to go home.”
“I want to go home.”
How often do you hear your loved one say they want to go home – and they are home!
Telling them they are already home only makes things worse.
You have to put your thinking cap on and distract them so things don’t escalate.
Your goal is to change their focus long enough that they forget about going home and becoming over-anxious.
- Have them speak to the grandkids on the phone.
- Offer to get them a coat or sweater then have them sit outside or on the lanai to look at the birds with a cup of coffee.
- Tell them you will after lunch. Have them set the table and help you prepare lunch. – You are waiting for the laundry to finish. Then bring out LOTS of clothes and have them fold for you.
- Just so happens their favorite movie is on TV. (Does it matter what movie?)
- Have them organize your spools of thread on a spool holder. (Tip: Always keep this handy!)
- You have something in the oven you are waiting to finish cooking.
- Your neighbor is coming over to pick up a cup of sugar.
- You are waiting for the car to be fixed, it’s in the shop.
You don’t want them yelling or threatening to leave on their own. Coming up with varying reasons you cannot take them immediately may help you cope a bit easier as well.
This is one of the six principles we deal with at Caregiver Haven™ – Principle #4 – the home situation.
Senior Care does not get better. They do not get up one morning and walk better, go off to Kindergarten, lose their first tooth. All the exciting things we saw in child care are NOT what’s in senior care.
But knowing what to expect and being ready for it is the key. Being prepared for whatever happens will give you the peace of mind you need to know that all your decisions are the RIGHT decisions no matter what your senior says, your family says, or even your siblings say.
Aging is a process, a downward process. It’s chronic. It’s long-term. Senior care calls for the caregiver to be ready before the next crisis is going to occur.
What to expect in senior care is powerful.
So get your copy. CLICK on the title to learn more
Share this on your social media platforms.
Hi I'm Suzanne
And my mission is to find you practical easy-to-follow solutions for everyday caregiving. Find out more HERE.
DON’T MISS OUT
Join the thousands of caregivers who want organization and tips straight to your inbox.